Swim AustraliaTM Swimming Teacher
What a joyful and rewarding job it is, become a Swim Australia Teacher.
Learn how to teach swimming lessons. Prevent drowning by teaching children to swim and survive. Swim Australia Teachers are internationally recognised.
Choose to enrol in any of the three entry-level courses to get started on an exciting new career. Or, if you already have the skills and knowledge, apply for recognition of current competency (RCC).
A Swim Australia™ Teacher (SAT) has the competence and knowledge to teach swimming and water safety to independent learners in groups of varying sizes. Successful Students of this course will gain a Statement of Attainment with the competencies required to deliver GST free, water-related, personal safety and survival lessons.”
- Where: Airlie Beach Swim Centre, 2583 Shute Harbour Road, Jubilee Pocket opposite IGA
- Cost for Swim Australia Teacher $370
- Cost for Swim Teacher Babies & Toddlers $315
- Cost for First Aid course :$130
- Friday, 3rd February 2022 – Swim Australia Teacher (SAT) course from 8.00 am – 4.30 pm (Course Code Q0122751FA: ) register here
Swim Australia Teacher at Calen Swim Centre
- Thursday, 3rd February 2022 – Swim Australia Teacher (SAT) course from 8.00 am – 4.30 pm (Course Code: Q0222749T) register here
Please note: course enrolments close one week prior to the Practical Induction course commencement date to allow for pre-course self-paced learning and observation of swimming and water safety lessons.
The cost covers:
- Course Theory online learning
- Course attendance
- ASCTA complimentary Basic membership
- Refreshment breaks
- Accreditation valid for 3 years
- Pool entry
- Living with Water DVD
- Statement/s of Attainment
- Insurance cover from enrolment up to one month after course requirements are completed*
Our most popular entry-level course, the Swim Australia™ Teacher (SAT) has the competence and knowledge to teach swimming and water safety to independent learners from ages 2 ½ upward with an emphasis on safety, fun and skill development.
This course delivers the skills, knowledge and assessment to gain the competencies required to deliver GST free, water-related personal safety and survival lessons as determined by the federal government.
All enrolled Swim Australia course students are covered by SCTI Insurance for the duration of their course and will receive complimentary ASCTA Membership upon being accredited*
Units of Competency
This course covers the following units within the Certificate III of Aquatics and Recreation:
- SISCAQU002 Perform basic water rescues
- SISCAQU008 Instruct water familiarisation, buoyancy and mobility skills
- SISCAQU009 Instruct water safety and survival skills
- SISCAQU010 Instruct swimming strokes
- SISCCRO302A Apply legal and ethical instructional skills
After completion of all online Units of Competency, you will be provided with a Theory Acknowledgement. You will then be welcome to attend the Practical Induction workshop of your course which focuses on transitioning you from theory to hands-on practical.
Once the Practical Induction is complete you will be required to undertake On the Job training under the supervision and direction of a Lead Teacher of your sourcing. As your confidence and ability grows you will progressively become more involved in the lesson delivery and a Competency Assessment will then determine that you are at the required standard to work independently.
Students have up to 12 months to complete this course but maybe accredited sooner should they have completed and submitted all course requirements.
- Online Theory component – approx. 30 hrs
- Face to Face Practical workshop – 8 hrs
- On the job training – approx. 20 to 30 hrs
- Competency Assessment – 1.5 hrs
- Swimming in Australia
- Practical Biomechanics
- Introduction to Water
- Water Safety & Aquatic Survival
- Swimming Strokes
- Excellence in Teaching
- Lesson Planning
- Incident Reporting
- Online Theory Modules
- Practical Workshop Induction
- On the Job Training
- Competency Assessment
- Accumulative Training Record
- Accredited and Valid CPR qualification (HLTAID001, 002, 003, 004 or 007)
- Current Working with Children Check
- Unique Student Identifier (USI)
You may enrol in a Swim Australia™ Teacher course at 15 years of age but are not eligible to receive the accreditation until you are 16 years of age.
Certification | Accreditation
Students who have successfully completed this course will receive an electronic Swim Australia Teacher certificate along with a Statement of Attainment listing the above competencies.
All Swim Australia Teacher qualifications are valid for 3 years from the date of accreditation.
In addition, newly accredited teachers will receive complimentary General ASCTA Membership for the current financial year.